Eating a smart breakfast leads to healthier choices all day long. Here is a healthy breakfast recipe - Rawa Upma. Originally from South India, this tasty dish is wholesome when you add ingredients like vegetables and nuts to make it nourishing and tasty.
Upma also comprises curry leaves which boosts the aroma and flavor of the dish but in particular is also very good for proper digestion and cures upset stomach. A handful of roasted dal also makes the recipe rich in proteins.
1. Rava/ Suji/Semolina (1 cup)
2. Oil- 1 tsp
3. Rai/Mustard seeds (1/2 teaspoon)
4. Hari Mirch/Green chillies (1-2 chopped)
5. Pyaz/onions (1 chopped) grated ginger ½ tsp
6. Salt to taste
7. Vegetables of choice: Peas, carrots, beans, capsicum, etc.
8. Grated coconut (3-4 tablespoon)
9. Mungfali/Peanuts-(2 tablespoon)
10. Urad daal/Moong daal- (2 teaspoon)
12. Lemon juice (2 teaspoon)
13. Curry leaves- (5-7)
Method of preparation
1. Dry-roast Semolina (rawa), and then keep aside.
2. In the same pan dry roast peanuts and daal on medium flame, till it browns.
3. In a large pan/kadai, heat the oil.
4. Add mustard seeds and wait for them to pop. Then add green chillies, curry leaves and chopped onions and grated ginger and fry until onions turns pink.
5. Add vegetables and cook for 2 mins. Add, daal, salt and 2 cups of water, and bring to boil. Cook till vegetables soften.
6. Add the roasted rava, peanuts. Turn down the heat to medium, and mix quickly to avoid lumps forming.
7. The upma is done when all the water is absorbed by the rava.
8. Finally squeeze the lemon juice and garnish with grated coconut.
9. Serve hot.
Happy and healthy Cooking!